Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Which way do we go?

Professor Nicholsan said something like this. That IST 511 was to take us and make us change which librarian we wanted to be, seven ways from Sunday. For me that statement was brought to life today with the tour of the library.
First was Professor Lavender and the books. Lovely books, wonderful books full of fun, history and so much work and detail it is eye opening. Five square miles of manuscripts alone in their collection. Mind boggling. That made me say, oh, this is more interesting than I thought.
Now time for Round Two - special collection restoration.
Conservation. Restoration, taking a broken old book and making it usable once again. I love fixing things, always have. I'm also a very tactile person, so feeling things, holding them in my hands is so important to me. Watching the process of book recovery made me want to work on them.
Final Round - Digital Conservation.
Take the work from the Special Collections and up the ante. A streamlined process of constant motion. People going about repairing book after book. I counted at least five books glued in the time I was there. Having the knowledge of how books are repaired is so essential. Now, at the very least, I know that I want to take some preservation courses.

No comments:

Post a Comment